October 14, 2015

AA Step Twelve: Having Had a Spiritual Awakening

 AA Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs. -from AA Twelve and Twelve, Step Twelve.

The spiritual awaking that happens as a result of completing the steps is not always bluntly visible. It definitely was not a light bulb moment for me. It was very gradual. Especially since I still did not have a defined spirituality, how then was I supposed to have a spiritual awakening?

Well, that's the thing; everyone has a different type of "spiritual awakening," and for me it ended up feeling like I  was slowly finding myself and becoming a new person! I also noticed these strange moments when I would have moments that I felt like I have just done something that I would not normally do. For instance, I was a bit rude to my coworker the other day, and half hour later I went and apologized - that's not me I thought, where did that come from?! My old self would have grown a huge resentment, and probably carried some passive aggressive behavior for days. But I felt bad and out of wack and really uncomfortable, so I decided to apologize, and then I felt better - that to me are signs of my spiritual awakening.



To read the entire step 12, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep moving forward!