July 29, 2013

Happy Monday Sober

Yes, it is! The sun is shining and I am setting myself up to have a good day. I strongly believe that if you think positive, positive things will happen :)

This used to be extremely difficult for me. I usually got up on a Monday morning with the hazy reminder of whatever I drank and did during the weekend. Still most of the time, buzzed, or with the terrible hangover brewing, I would scramble to get ready for work. I would stop few times to examine how bad I felt and decide if calling in sick was an option. -But what would people think? Ugh. Better go in.- So I would do a good scrub down in the shower and then plaster some strong smelling lotion on my body and brush my teeth and tongue vigorously. All this, just in case I still had booze in my system and it was oozing out of my pores. I had a hard time telling if I was still buzzed, I had this method to check, I would turn my head from size to side, quickly; if things seemed to be moving at the same speed as my head, I was ok, if they were moving slower... I was still buzzed, if I couldn't swing my head too well, then I was still drunk!

View outside my office window.
On the way to work I would smoke few cigarettes, one after another, in hope that smelling like an ashtray would be better than smelling like a brewery!  And I remember thinking that exact thing! Lol! How did that make sense to me is just besides me! 

And so my day would begin, countless cups of coffee and gallons of water, no food - couldn't eat much - and popping Tylenol like it was going out of style! And staying away from people at all costs. And anger, lots of anger, for all reasons, and the fact that my head was pounding something awful! And please don't talk to me, and don't even look at me, just let me sit here and get thru this! The hours would pass by oh so very slowly, and all I could think about was my first drink after work that would alleviate all this misery, and...  inevitably start the entire process all over again! Crazy.

Today, I don't have to do any of this! (- I mean I still shower and brush my teeth, LoL!-) What a joy it is to get up and embrace the day! No hangover, no shame from the weekend happenings, no worries. Just get up and go, and be present, embrace the day and enjoy LIFE! Sobriety rocks!

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Oh God. How I remember so many days like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only sobriety can make a Monday seem not so bad! Because back when i was drinking, Monday mornings were monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vividly remember my first sober Monday! I was so amazed! - :)

      Delete

Keep moving forward!